Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Distance

735km doesn't seem that much, but it might as well be several light years. With all the traveling we make as part of our daily lives, the distances between us can seem so small, but in many ways it is more pronounced than ever. Instead of walking over to someone's desk I send them an email, as walking to Delhi isn't really an option. Instead of shouting to the person next to me I pick up the phone, as my voice doesn't extend as far as Berlin. Yet beyond work, the distance seems more mental than physical, an imaginary divide that separates me from my home. In two days time I will board a plane and will hopefully end up where I want to be. The physical separation will be gone (a short bus ride is all that there will be) but the distance will still remain and it will appear more unreachable than ever.

No comments: