Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Miles

Off all the music I listen to, I think I get most pleasure from jazz. There is something about the combination of instruments, the rhythm and the improvisation that makes me feel warm inside. And of course, liking jazz, I have a special fondness for Miles Davis. From the moment I first heard Kind of Blue I've been transfixed by his records, some of them so beautiful that they almost make you cry.

So I was surprised to read that he was a man prone to violence (including many cases of domestic violence) and a heroin addict. Why I'm surprised I don't know as you often hear of such talented people having darker side to them. But I wonder whether his inner demons were the cause or the result of his amazing gift.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

more than likely a dash of both...