Sunday, April 30, 2006

Method in madness

I think I might have hit the nail on the head. I used to believe in happy endings, fairy tales, where good always triumphed, where the bad guy always got his comeuppance (usually in a rather nasty – but somehow comical – way) and where the nerdy guy with the terrible haircut always got the girl. Then reality happened. Life is somewhat more complicated than a movie script and my dreams and illusions shattered over night.

So for while, I gave up entirely. I looked upon life as a series of cold episodes. And I tried to come to terms with my life and where it had taken me. Yet, with all of this I wasn't able to find anything. Just more questions, more 'what if's that didn’t lead me anywhere I wanted to go.

But something in recent months has begun to change. What I don’t quite know. Perhaps it was Audrey Hepburn looking down at me, who knows? The realisation that not everything needs to change, at least not right now. So now I’m beginning to dream again. Not so naively this time, but dreaming I am.

No comments: