Saturday, April 29, 2006

A painful personal admission

I have an embarrassing admission to make. Its painful but I have to admit that I have a problem. I can't hide it away any longer. I need to face it and find the help I need.

I'm addicted to crap movies. Really bad ones. Think of a truly terrible movie, probably a romantic comedy that is neither romantic or comedic, and its one of those. I just can't help myself. I've tried abstinence and it didn't work. I've tried watching thoughtful, intelligent movies to wane me of my habit, but no joy. I just can’t help myself.

It’s not a new problem. I’ve had it before (Overboard with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn – a truly underrated masterpiece of modern cinema) but I thought it had gone away. Several years of watching (mostly) great films, films with meaning and purpose, some even with sub-titles, lulled me into a false sense of security. But at a moment of personal weakness my curse resurfaced. And its now getting out of control. The choice of Raging Bull or Freaky Friday (guess which won?) has made me realise how deep the problem is.

I need help, urgently.

No comments: